Monday, June 18, 2007

Oh Paul: Thoughts on 'Shalom"


"Be gracious to others in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out."
-Colossians 4

There is a lot about Christianity that pisses me off. But flipping through a few books of the Bible can still prove to be an eye-opening experience.
While I don't completely reject the notion held by some that the Bible/church/religion are tools created by the elite, ruling-class 2000 years ago to control the masses, I don't completely accept such a cynical view either.
There is a lot of good in the pages of the Bible.
The main message is one of agape love of fellow people, animals, and nature.
The verse quoted above is one that I hope to remember as I go about my job and my relationships in Jasper.

On a side note, I also found a cue-card with some notes I jotted down a few months ago. It was on relationships and the word 'shalom.'
It says:
"Shalom: all encompassing balance: relational, emotional, physical. Avoiding conflict isn't resolving it. Relationships end to resolve conflict. Conflict is severance of relationships. Conflict resolution involves restoring shalom - peaceful outcome. Not acceptable to walk away from relationships. People too often are into the idea that conflict is solved by walking away/quitting. Relationship is more important than being right."

... oh snap.

No comments: