Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The beauty of my surroundings

It should probably go without saying that I am living in one of the most beautiful places in the world, and that I should really be appreciating the beauty of my surroundings. Yet I somehow manage to find that it's so easy to get caught up in the fast-paced reality I create for myself: driving when I could walk, not stopping to breath the fresh mountain air or look around at the awe-inspiring Rocky Mountains, or even just saying that I'm too tired after work to go do something active outside for an hour or so. Yet I feel as though this past little while, I haven't been making the most of my location and today that really culminated in a grumpy, almost bellicose version of myself. So when my roomie Steve invited me to take the dog, Gretzky, for a walk I nearly jumped at the opportunity.
And it was the best thing I've done in 10 days.
We walked through the trails of the mini-mountain in my backyard, and even stopped at the top to sit on a bench and take in the mountainous view, and breath the crisp evening air. My spirits were truly rejuvenated.
I am reminded of the importance of taking time out to appreciate the things that make me truly happy in this world. True, my job is amazing, but balance is something that I have been working on integrating into my daily life. That means appreciating a variety of experiences in moderation, and that is what I am trying to do.

No comments: